April is Distracted Driving Awareness Month. Commit to safe driving with a company-wide safe driving policy. Here’s a sample you can download and use from the National Safety Council.
We deeply value the safety and wellbeing of all employees and are committed to ensuring a safe working environment. With the proliferation of electronic device and in-vehicle infotainment system use while driving, coupled with the myths surrounding a person’s ability to multitask, we enforce the following distracted driving policy.
Hands-free is not risk free. The science is crystal clear on this fact and numerous studies have demonstrated that the use of handheld and hands-free devices while driving pose a significant safety risk to motorists, their passengers and others on the road.
Our employees shall:
- Not use handheld or hands-free mobile electronic devices or voice features in vehicles while operating a motor vehicle.
- Turn on the “Do Not Disturb” feature on smartphones and other mobile devices. If the feature is not available, turn off or silence mobile devices to prevent distraction.
- Pull over to a safe place out of traffic lanes and put the vehicle in “Park” if a call or text must be made.
- Inform clients, associates and business partners of this company policy to explain why calls, texts or emails may not be returned immediately.
- Program any global positioning system (GPS), music device, or dashboard/voice infotainment system prior to departing. If adjustments are needed while driving, pull over to a safe place out of traffic lanes and put the vehicle in “Park” to make the appropriate adjustment.
Electronic distractions are only one type of distraction. Drivers should also refrain from eating, drinking, reading and other activities that may divert attention away from the task of driving.
Our company is committed to keeping our workers safe and holding our employees to the highest standard of safety. This is so important that violations of this policy may result in disciplinary action, up to and including termination.
Your signature below certifies your agreement to comply with this policy.
Employee Signature Date
Dominion Risk is here to help you with your commercial insurance and risk management needs. Contact us to learn more.