The Importance of Being Prepared
As you know, we are exposed to various potential disasters. This weekend, Hurricane Florence strengthened and has set a path that may impact the majority of our clients. We write to encourage you to prepare for this event and as a reminder for other potential disasters.
When There is A Hurricane Threat
- Secure your property as soon as practical. Bring outdoor furniture in; secure doors / windows.
- Photo or Video as much of the inside of the property as you can including drawers / closets.
- Plan evacuation routes and designate a contact person for everyone to call after the storm.
- Stock up on water, flashlights, battery-operated radio, nails, tarps and plywood.
- If you are told to evacuate, do so immediately.
- Back-up all computer hard drives and move key documents and items to a secure zone.
- Turn off main power source if water is expected to enter the building
Preparation for a Flood
- Follow all of the above.
- Make sure your sump-pumps are working.
- Make sure that window wells are covered and that all drains are cleaned.
- Move vulnerable property to higher ground.
- If water penetrates, dry as quickly as possible.
Almost all property insurance policies exclude flood which is defined as water coming over or through the surface. Please protect all of your property.
Have this ready for evacuation or power outage
- First aid kit
- Several gallons of water per family member
- Nonperishable food items
- Can opener, plastic cups and eating utensils
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Battery-operated radio
- Personal identification for each family member
- Personal hygiene items and hand sanitizer
- Clothes for hot, cold and wet weather
- Always keep your car filled with fuel
- Food and water for pets
- Blankets and pillows
- If available, portable chargers for phones
We are here to help you. In the event of a loss, please call your DRA representative immediately.